Assurant General Insurance
Assurant General Insurance Limited was incorporated in 1989 and took its current name in 2007. It is a subsidiary of Assurant Solutions UK, with headquarters in High Wycombe.
Assurant Solutions is based in the American city of Atlanta, Georgia, as a subsidiary of the US conglomerate Assurant (Headquarters in New York), which is listed on the Fortune 500 register of the largest publicly traded companies in the US.
Assurant Solutions is the principal insurance subsidiary of the group, which has offices in seven other US states and 13 other countries including the UK.
It is possible to trace Assurant's roots back some 120 years to the founding of a disability insurance company set up in Wisconsin in the US at the beginning of the 1890s. The original company later became known as the Time Insurance Company, before being acquired by the Dutch conglomerate AMEV, which eventually renamed the enterprise as Fortis, Inc. In 2003, the Dutch holding company spun off Fortis, Inc. which was subsequently renamed Assurant, Inc.
In the UK, Assurant's property insurance products are most widely marketed through Assurant Solutions Intermediary, which arranges the following broad types of cover:
- mortgage and payment protection;
- income protection;
- residential buildings and content cover;
- home emergency cover; and
- landlord's property insurance.
Insuring landlord's property (the let building or buildings and the contents owned by the landlord) is typically a matter for specialist cover, rather than the standard forms of home insurance.
Standard home insurance may specifically exclude certain risks if the home is occupied by or let to tenants.
In addition to cover for the buildings and contents, landlord insurance may also compensate you for loss of rent if the premises become uninhabitable after an insured event.
Assurant landlord insurance
The principal areas of cover are:
- buildings - in addition to the standard perils of fire, flooding and impacts, Assurant also extends cover to subsidence (a hazard not always protected in other property insurance policies;
- landlord's contents - contents are also covered against these same risks, although you may want to note that thefts or attempted thefts by tenants or by other individuals you have given permission to enter the building are excluded;
- public liability - cover is also included to indemnify you against claims from members of the public whose property is damaged or who suffer personal injury in connection with your ownership of the property.