Buildings Extension Insurance

cta annex

To get a quote:



Call now on 01325 346 328 and Quote Ref WS1


  • Financial Ombudsman Service Logo
  • British Insurance Brokers Association (BIBA) Logo

What do our customers think?

Customer reviews verified by

If you are carrying out construction, renovation or conversion works on your home or commercial property, then you will need to review your current buildings insurance arrangements. That way you can ensure you have the most appropriate cover in place – namely buildings extension insurance.

Why do you need insurance for an extension?

There are several significant reasons why you may need domestic or commercial building works insurance:

  • most home or property insurance policies do not provide full coverage on the building while it is undergoing renovation or conversion works - especially if the works are structural;

  • if the existing cover is maintained on the property, restrictions may apply, meaning you may only have the most basic of protection in place;

  • when structural work is being carried out on a property, often the occupants will move out. Once a property has stood unoccupied for a number of consecutive days (typically 30-45) and even if there are workmen there during the day, it is classed as empty.

At this point, an unoccupancy clause on your existing buildings insurance policy will kick in, meaning that the cover will be severely restricted or even become invalid.

What does buildings extension insurance cover?

The cover varies depending on the insurance provider. At UKinsuranceNET, our renovation insurance policies typically offer:

  • flexible policy terms with 3-12 month terms available;

  • £2,000,000 public liability insurance as standard (very important to protect you financially should a builder, or guest, get injured while on your property or the building works or plant and machinery used during renovation cause damage to a neighbour's property);

  • cover for the existing structure and contract works (if the construction of your extension leads to structural damage to your existing building, it is unlikely that your standard buildings insurance would cover such cost. Most buildings extension insurance policies typically will cover any such risk).


  • Cover available whilst property is empty
  • Renovation insurance expert advice
  • Full renovation cover available
  • Cover For All Unusual Or Individual Risks
  • We insure properties with non-standard construction
  • Convert to other policy after renovation complete

What you need to know when buying buildings extension insurance


Because of the increased risks involved when a property is being renovated/extended – for example, the onsite equipment and materials may attract thieves, or the main power or water line could accidentally be cut during the works - some insurance providers will not cover non-standard properties (e.g. listed buildings).

At UKinsuranceNET, we aim to cover all project types including listed/graded buildings as well as:

  • basement conversion/ extensions;

  • standard extensions/ internal reconfigurations;

  • barn conversions; etc.

Why choose us?

Standard home and commercial property insurance policies can leave your home vulnerable during building work and may not cover the work, materials on site and the liability exposures.

At UKinsuranceNET, we want your buildings project to go as smoothly as possible and with the peace of mind offered by our specialist buildings extension insurance.

We can cater for all types of project, large or small, including both residential and commercial properties.  With different products and levels of cover to choose from our products can be tailored to suit your own individual requirements – so you can get the most appropriate protection at what we believe is a very competitive price.



Do I need special insurance for cosmetic changes to my property?

Non-structural changes to the property include activities such as replacing kitchen units, laying new flooring and general redecorating. In most cases, your standard buildings insurance policy will provide the cover you need. Changes to the internal plumbing, gas pipes or electrical fixtures are NOT classed as cosmetic, and you will need to speak to your insurance provider regarding renovation insurance.

What if my contractor says he is insured – do I still need extension insurance?

Your contractor will probably have some elements of insurance. If you are sourcing and buying some of the materials yourself, however, typically your contractor cannot cover these, and you will need to insure them yourself. You should also note that if you are financing your project via a mortgage, it is likely your mortgage provider will insist you arrange your own cover.

What if my build does not finish on time?

We do recognise that builds don’t always run to plan for various reasons, which is why we offer flexible short-term extensions.