Have you thought of moving to live and work in Chippenham, want to invest there or start higher education? Here are some of the reasons why Chippenham in Western Wiltshire may be right for you.
House Prices 🏠
- Most expensive property: £999,950
- Average house price in the town: £338,102
- Cheapest property: £99,950 (one-bedroom flat)
Property Investment 🏠 🏠
- In the 12 months since January 2016, Chippenham has seen some of the biggest rises in house prices – recording an impressive 14 growth of 14.14%
- Chippenham has a higher proportion of home ownership than the UK average – reflecting the relative affluence of the town
- It is a small town, with a population (at the last census) of just 35,800.
- Historically, Chippenham served as a market town for the county of Wiltshire, but this role has today been replaced by that of a dormitory town serving London (only 100 miles or so the east), Bath, Bristol and Swindon
- Chippenham is home to the multinational corporation Siemens (formerly Westinghouse), which is the largest single employer
- Chippenham’s Retail Park was recently acquired for £11.2 million.
Location and Transport 🚌
- Situated in the western part of Wiltshire, Chippenham provides ready connections to London, which is some 100 miles away and accessible by road (M4) and rail (London Paddington) as well as to Oxford and points west, to Bath and Bristol
- The town’s bus station serves the West of England and other regional destinations.
- The University of Bath has a campus at Claverton Down, just 12 miles to the west of Chippenham
- There is also a local technical college and three secondary schools providing education from the age of 11 to sixth form
- There are 10 primary schools in the town.
- A major attraction is the fact that Chippenham is situated in the midst of rolling English countryside
- The Marlborough Downs are to the east, Salisbury Plain to the southeast and the Cotswolds to the north and west.
Finally, did you know …
- Located in the landlocked county of Wiltshire and more than 20 miles from the nearest coastline, the headquarters of the Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society (WDCS) is in Chippenham
- In 2016, Chippenham was awarded “purple flag” status in recognition of its top-class night life that features lower crime and anti-social behaviour rates than elsewhere in the UK
- The local dental surgery in Chippenham publishes 10 fun facts about – of all things – teeth.