Thinking of moving to Newport? Whether you’re starting a family, planning an investment or beginning higher education, here is what the city has to offer.
House Prices 🏠
- Most expensive property: £1,600,000
- Average house price in city: £160,074
- Cheapest property: semi-detached house £105,000.
Property Investment 🏠 🏠
- Strategic gateway to the whole of SE Wales and the principality’s third largest city
- Population 147,769
- Though largely an ageing population, the city also has a higher than average number of youngsters about to set up home on their own and an expanding ethnic population
- The University of South Wales (total student population 30,000) also has two campuses in the city.
- Boosted in recent years by investments of some £250 million in regeneration schemes
- Along with just 11 other cities across the UK, Newport has also been designated a “super-connected city” with a share in some £50 million government grants for the installation of super-fast broadband connections
- Economic restructuring away from previous heavy industry to new technology industries.
Location and Transport 🚌
- Less than 140 miles from central London the journey from Newport via the M4 motorway (which is within a mile of the city centre) takes less than two and a half hours
- £22 million was recently spent on a complete refurbishment of the main rail station
- There is also a new bus station.
- In addition to the two campuses of the University of South Wales, the city is also home to Newport School of Art, Media and Design, and a further education campus of Coleg Gwent (Nash College)
- There are 8 state-funded comprehensive schools and one independent comprehensive school
- The city maintains three mid-primary schools where teaching is conducted in the Welsh language.
- Regeneration of the waterfront has seen the building of a number of new homes along the River Usk, together with leisure facilities
- extensive areas of natural open space may be found to the south of the city at Caldicot and Wentloog Levels and the Newport Wetlands Reserve
- the Newport Centre – in the centre of the city – is the principal location for a range of leisure activities.
Finally, did you know …
- Captain America was filmed in the countryside, but a stone’s throw away from the city
- Joe Strummer of the iconic band The Clash went to art school here
- Pop star Kanye West once ordered a takeaway Indian meal from a restaurant in the city – to be flown back to his hotel in New York.