Skip to content

Call today - 01325 346 328

Call from Overseas - 0044 1325 346 328

Quote Ref: WS1

Customer Login Get Quotes

Content insurance for renters

Depositphotos 13942534 m-2015 (1)

Home insurance is a subject often likely to be overlooked by tenants. The landlord, after all, is responsible for safeguarding the property you rent and for repairing or fixing most of the things that go wrong.

But your landlord is not responsible for the loss, damage or theft of any of your own possessions and belongings – a fact which is overlooked or simply not known by around a half of all tenants, several studies have shown.

In addition to the belongings you own, Citizens Advice also makes the point that the landlord is likely to hold you responsible for items in the let property for which you are responsible and have to pay for if they are damaged or lost. A television set which you are renting might also need to be insured, so that you are covered for any damage or loss for which you are responsible.

As with any room contents insurance, therefore, it is essential to take an inventory on a room by room basis and arrange renters content insurance for everything for which you might have to pay to repair or replace.

Insurance to suit you

Browse the internet, and you are likely to come across any number of insurers offering some form of contents insurance.

Here at UKinsuranceNET, however, we know that tenants come in all shapes and sizes, each with different means and circumstances, and each one occupying the type of rented accommodation that suits them.

Just as the rental accommodation varies, so too does the need for a specific type of contents insurance for tenants – so, we offer various packages which reflect those different circumstances. 

  • you and your family might be renting a whole house or flat, for example – from the local council, a housing association or a landlord in the private sector;
  • you might own a share of the freehold in a block of flats or converted building or a leaseholder who has set up a Right to Manage company – the contents of your home still need the protection of separate insurance, even when the exterior of the property and its common areas are otherwise covered;
  • if you are a student sharing a rented house with your fellow undergraduates, each of you might want the security of knowing that your possessions are covered against theft, loss or damage – in the case of your books, computer and other records, your studies might depend on it; 
  • if you are a student or any other tenant dependent on low-cost accommodation, you might be occupying a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) and sharing its facilities with a number of other households – the shared arrangements might make you even more concerned to insure the possessions you own;
  • if you are a lodger in someone else’s house, your belongings are unlikely to be covered by the owner’s insurance, so you need to make separate arrangements for your own contents insurance; and 
  • if you are an owner-occupier, you may choose to combine your standard building insurance with contents insurance, leaving any tenants or lodgers who are sharing your home with you to arrange their own renter's contents insurance. 

If you are any kind of tenant, lodger or house-sharer, therefore, you might want to consider the essential protection offered by contents insurance for tenants.