Skip to content

Call today - 01325 346 328

Call from Overseas - 0044 1325 346 328

Quote Ref: WS1

Customer Login Get Quotes

Gas Safety week – a timely reminder for homeowners and landlords

Depositphotos 18603141 m-2015 (1)

With Gas Safety week just a few weeks away, ARLA Propertymark are reminding estate agents and letting agents of the importance of making sure their customers are gas safety aware.

Their advice is also useful for homeowners and landlords, too.

17th September sees the start of the eighth annual Gas Safety Week which raises awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances. It is co-ordinated by the Gas Safe Register, the official list of gas engineers who are legally allowed to work on gas.

Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause all sorts of serious problems, such as gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

CO is a highly poisonous gas that can kill quickly with no warning. It is invisible and you cannot see, smell or taste it. It is common for people to mistake the symptoms of CO poisoning – headaches, nausea, breathlessness, dizziness, collapse, and loss of consciousness – with the flu, food poisoning or fatigue.

ARLA Propertymark points out that estate and letting agents have a direct route to gas consumers and can offer potentially lifesaving advice, whether encouraging tenants to know what their legal rights are when it comes to gas safety, or making homeowners aware of the importance of having their gas appliances checked by a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer.

For landlords, it is a timely reminder of their gas safety obligations to make sure gas appliances, fittings and flues provided for tenants are safe, as well as arranging an annual service by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Further reading: Gas Safety - Top tips to stay safe