Skip to content

Call today - 01325 346 328

Call from Overseas - 0044 1325 346 328

Quote Ref: WS1

Customer Login Get Quotes

Landlord house insurance


Flexible, fully comprehensive landlord house insurance available instantly online

Click Get Quotes below or

Call now on and Quote Ref WS1
Quote House

I require a quote for landlord house insurance

Get Quotes
Watson Phone

Call now on 01325 346328 or click below

Request a Callback
Quote House with Garage

I would like to compare landlord house insurance

Get Quotes


  • Huge savings with our online insurance policies
  • Wide range of policies to choose from
  • Flexible, fully comprehensive insurance
  • Massive discounts for portfolios
  • Excellent no claims discount scheme
  • Rent can be guaranteed up to £24,000

Landlord house insurance

If you own a house which you let to tenants, you are by definition a landlord. It doesn’t matter whether you are what might be called a “professional” landlord, having set up a buy to let business specifically for that purpose, or whether you are an “accidental” landlord – perhaps because you inherited a house or are letting your previous home after having moved on to a new one.

If you are the owner of that property and it is let to tenants, you are likely to be in search of landlord house insurance.

Why do you need landlord house insurance?

You might argue that the house once inherited by a member of your family or one that you lived in before moving on, already has standard home building and contents insurance.

The moment that property is let to tenants, however, there is such a significant change of use that insurers consider the standard form of insurance for an owner occupier to be no longer appropriate. Instead, you need specifically written landlord house insurance.

The reason is fairly straight forward. With the change in use to a let property, your house becomes what is essentially a business asset – you are earning an income from rents and may also be hoping for some capital appreciation on your business investment if and when the property comes to be sold.

The change in use is sufficiently significant – such a change in the “material facts” of the insurance contract – that any insurer is entitled to reject your claim for loss or damage if the house is let and you have only standard home insurance, suitable for an owner occupier.

What you need to know when buying cover

The reasons for this may become clearer once you ask yourself what you need to know about landlord house insurance – namely, what is and what is not typically covered in such a policy:

Building and contents

  • just as with insurance for your own home, insurance for landlords typically has at its heart protection of the structure and fabric of the building and of the contents you own against such major risks as fire, floods, subsidence, storm damage, smoke damage, burst pipes, impacts, theft and vandalism;

  • the total building sum insured needs to reflect the possible costs of reconstructing the entire building if it is destroyed in a major insured event;

Landlords liability insurance

  • as the landlord, you have a special duty of care towards members of the public, your own tenants and their visitors, so that you need to take all reasonable precautions to prevent anyone being injured or having their own property damaged when in the house you let;

  • if you are alleged to have breached that duty of care, the claim for compensation may be very substantial, so landlord liability insurance typically provides indemnity against such claims;

Loss of rental income (optional)

  • landlord house insurance may also provide compensation – or alternative accommodation – if the property is so damaged by an insured event that it becomes temporarily uninhabitable and you face a loss of rental income.

Why choose us?

The landlord house insurance we arrange here at UKinsuranceNET reflects all of these potential concerns, risks and perils, providing the cover you need in return for competitively priced premiums.