Skip to content

Call today - 01325 346 328

Call from Overseas - 0044 1325 346 328

Quote Ref: WS1

Customer Login Get Quotes

House insurance for an empty house

Quote Small House

75% of customers could get a cheaper quote over the phone *

Select Get Quotes Below for Online Quote or

Call now on and Quote Ref WS1
Quote House

I need a quote for empty house insurance

Get Quotes
Quote Telephone Box

I need advice regarding empty house insurance

Request a Callback
Quote House with Garage

I want to buy empty house insurance

Get Quotes


  • Specialist advice to ensure you get the right cover at the right price
  • Interest free installments
  • Cover during probate
  • Theft - malicious damage cover can be included
  • Excellent unoccupied premiums
  • Huge savings with our online insurance policies

House insurance for empty house

 Whether you are an owner occupier or the landlord of buy to let property, there may be occasions when your property stands empty and unoccupied:

  • you might have the builders in to add an extension or substantially remodel the building;

  • your job might need you to work away from home for several months at a time;

  • if you are letting the property, there might be a longer than usual interval between the end of one tenancy and the beginning of the next; or

  • the property may have become subject to a power of attorney or to probate.

When the house is empty, it is important to give special attention to the insurance which protects it against potentially serious loss or damage.

Why do you need house insurance for an empty house? 

Whether the property is empty or occupied, it is vulnerable to threats which might result in damage or even the total loss of the building and its contents from such incidents as fire, storm damage, floods, impacts, vandalism or theft.

When the property is empty, it is vulnerable to still more threats in the shape of squatters, intruders or even arsonists. What is more, when no one is at home to report the problem, an otherwise minor and straight forward maintenance issue may turn into a major, damaging incident.

In other words, an empty house attracts more risks and perils than one which is in more or less continuous occupation.

Because of these heightened risks, many providers of standard home insurance or landlord insurance impose restriction on the level of cover provided when your house has been empty for a given period of time – say, 30 or 45 days, depending on the policy. Some insurers may consider the cover to have lapsed altogether.

Instead, specialist house insurance for an empty house is required in order to keep the building and its contents safely protected.

What you need to know when buying cover 

Even with special empty property insurance in place, there are still steps you might take – and be expected to take – in order to reduce the risks of loss or damage.

This might mean that you need to make sure the property is kept in a good state of repair, that locks on exterior doors and windows are up to a reasonable standard, that nothing is being done to invite unwelcome attention by making it obvious that the building is unoccupied, and by arranging for the regular and periodic inspection of the building.

Why choose us?   

At UKinsuranceNET we are able to restore any and all of the safeguards your property needs if and when it becomes unoccupied. We specialise in the provision of house insurance for empty houses and you may rest assured any quote reflects the cover you need whilst also offering good value for money at a competitive price.



* 75% of all customers receiving an online quote in May 2017 could have obtained a cheaper quote over the phone, based on the information they provided