Skip to content

Call today - 01325 346 328

Call from Overseas - 0044 1325 346 328

Quote Ref: WS1

Customer Login Get Quotes

Home Renovation Insurance

75% of Customers get a cheaper quote over the phone

Call us now on 01325 346 328

quote house and skip

I want to insure an occupied property during renovations

Get Quotes
Watson Phone

Please call me to discuss home renovation insurance

Request a Callback
quote house and skip

I want to insure an unoccupied property during renovations

Get Quotes


  • Cover available whilst property is empty
  • Renovation insurance expert advice
  • Full renovation cover available
  • Cover for malicious damage
  • Cover for fire or flood during renovation work
  • Convert to other policy after renovation complete

Home Renovation Insurance

The costs of moving home – especially in what is still an uncertain housing market – may be encouraging more home owners than ever to renovate rather than sell up, buy somewhere else and move.

If you have a renovation project of your own in mind, however, it is important that you give due consideration to the need for home renovation insurance.

What is home renovation insurance and what does it cover?

Home renovation insurance does just what it says – it provides protection for the structure and fabric of your home and its contents whilst renovation work is in progress.

Specific elements of cover which are typically included are:

  • protection against loss or damage to the existing structure of your home, you can include any new parts of the building once these are complete. (You will need to increase your sums insured accordingly when needed);

  • the provision of unoccupied renovation insurance if the works are so extensive that the property is temporarily vacated and left unoccupied for the duration of the renovation works; and

  • the adaptation of the home insurance while building an extension to suit eventual residence by the owner occupier or as property let to tenants.

 At UKinsuranceNET, our policies can accommodate building works up to £500,000 including VAT.

Why may you need home renovation insurance?

Take a closer look at your current home insurance or landlord insurance policy and you are likely to find conditions which may affect your building insurance when extending or renovating the property.

Indeed, any works which involve more than just a cosmetic lick of paint or redecoration need to be cleared with your current insurers. If structural alterations are involved, the insurer may give approval, maintain cover, but increase the cost of premiums. Or, they may decline to cover the property whilst renovation work is in progress.

In any event, your current buildings insurance is unlikely to extend to structural damage caused to the existing building as a result of the works and may not provide all of the protection needed for your home or let property.

In its place, you are likely to need purpose-designed domestic building renovations insurance – which also provides cover throughout any period that the property needs to be left vacant and unoccupied.

Why choose us at UKinsuranceNET?

Carefully chosen, specialist renovation and extension insurance arranged by us here at UKinsuranceNET may be tailored to provide the cover you need for your particular renovation project – however large or small.

Not only are our policies competitively priced, but you may arrange this particular type of insurance for just as long as you need – as long as the works are likely to be in progress, just three or six months, let’s say, rather than the full 12-month period typically required by other types of home building and contents or landlord insurance cover.



* 75% of all customers receiving an online quote in May 2017 could have obtained a cheaper quote over the phone, based on the information they provided