Customer Login

Call today – +44 1325 346 328

Call from Overseas – +44 1325 346 328

Quote Ref: UKIN01

Home Renovation Insurance

Get an instant online quote in minutes. If you'd prefer to talk call us on 01325 346328

Figurine of a property being renovated

I want to insure an occupied property during renovations

An iPhone that's ready to make a phone call.

Call now on 01325 346328 or click below

Figurine of a property being renovated

I want to insure an unoccupied property during renovations


Cover for while your property is empty
Expert renovation insurance advice
Full renovations considered
Cover for malicious damage
Cover for fire or flood during renovation work
Convert to another policy after completion

Home renovation insurance

The costs and stress associated with moving home have prompted many homeowners to than ever to renovate rather than sell up and move elsewhere.

If you have a renovation project of your own in mind, it is important that you understand the need for home renovation insurance.

Does home insurance cover home renovations?

Take a closer look at your current home insurance or landlord insurance policy and you will likely find conditions that may affect your building insurance when extending or renovating the property.

Indeed, any works generally need to be cleared with your current insurers. If structural alterations are involved, the insurer may give their approval and maintain cover, albeit with a higher premium.

In any event, your current buildings insurance is unlikely to extend to structural damage caused to the existing building as a result of the works. As such, it may not provide all or any of the protection needed for your home or let property.

In its place, you are likely to need tailor-made domestic building renovations insurance. This type of policy may also provide cover during any period of unoccupancy. 

If you are in any doubt, please contact us for clarification – we will be delighted to help.

What is home renovation insurance, and what does it cover?

Home renovation insurance does just what it says – it provides protection for the structure and fabric of your home and its contents whilst renovation work is in progress.

Specific elements of cover that are typically included are:

  • Protection against loss or damage to the existing structure of your home. You can include any new parts of the building once these have been completed (you will need to increase your sums insured accordingly).
  • The provision of unoccupied renovation insurance if the works are so extensive that the property is temporarily vacated and left unoccupied for the duration of the renovation works.
  • The adaptation of the home insurance while building an extension to suit eventual residence by the owner occupier or as property let to tenants.
  • Please note that damage or injuries that occur because of the renovation work are generally excluded.

How do I know if it is a cosmetic change or a renovation project?

If you are making cosmetic changes – such as redecorating, laying new flooring or putting in new kitchen units – typically home renovation insurance will not be required. However, you will need to let your insurance company know.

Changes that affect the structure, internal plumbing, gas pipes or electrical fixtures may typically require insurance for renovation projects. If you are unsure whether renovation insurance is required, please contact us – we will be happy to clarify.

Do I need to tell my home insurance or landlord insurance provider about the building work?

Yes. If you fail to let your current home or landlord insurance provider know that your property is undergoing work, your existing cover may become invalid. That means you will be unable to claim on your policy.

Home improvement insurance is designed to cover the additional risks faced by a property undergoing renovation or works.

Can I get home insurance during building work if my project has already started?

Yes, this is not a problem. Even if you have renovation insurance with another provider, we may be able to offer you a more attractive price. Please contact us today.

Will renovations increase the cost of my home insurance or landlord insurance premium?

Renovations may affect the rebuild cost of your property, which is the cost of rebuilding the property (including surveyor and other fees and clearing the land). Therefore, your home insurance or landlord insurance premiums may increase to reflect the extra value of the property.

How do I calculate the rebuild cost of my renovated property?

You may need to consult a chartered surveyor, especially if your property is using non-standard construction materials or is a listed building. If yours is a standard construction house, you can consult the BCIS rebuild calculator, which you can find online.

Can you insure my listed or non-standard construction property during renovations?

Listed and non-standard property renovations can be considered. Please get in touch today.

What is a JCT contract?

A Joint Contracts Tribunal (JCT) is a contract between you and the builder that sets out the responsibilities of each party while the work is ongoing. It details things like timescales and budgets. You don’t always need a solicitor to draw up the contract for you.

Some of our policies allow for JCT contracts. However, please let us know if you have a JCT contract so that we can ensure you have the right cover you need. JCT contracts often stipulate certain insurance requirements.

Why choose UKinsuranceNET?

We can provide carefully chosen, specialist home renovation and extension insurance that is tailored to provide the cover you need for your renovation project – however large or small.

Get an Instant online quote in minutes. If you'd prefer to talk call us on 01325 346328