Customer Login

Call today – +44 1325 346 328

Call from Overseas – +44 1325 346 328

Quote Ref: UKIN01


Get an Instant Online Quote in minutes. If you prefer to talk call us on +441325 346328

A figurine of a detached, two up, two down house.

I want to insure a single property

An iPhone that's ready to make a phone call.

Call now on +441325 346328 or click below

Rent Guarantee Insurance for landlords

I want to insure multiple properties


Policies suitable for overseas landlords
Expat landlords accepted
Contents cover available for empty properties
Buy online 24/7
Cover available theft or malicious damage
No claims discounts available

Unoccupied Insurance for Expats

Life as an expatriate may offer something different – a life in which to enjoy another culture or to reap the potential rewards of working overseas.

If your roots are in the UK, however, you might want to maintain a strong, active connection with the place. An excellent way of doing so might take the shape of an investment in property – either for you to keep in reserve as a possible residence, should ever return to live in the UK, or to run as a buy to let business in which you enjoy the steady income stream of rents from tenants.

Or you may already have an existing home in the UK that you are holding on to see how life overseas pans out.

Whether a home owner or landlord, however, there are likely to be times when any property you buy stands empty and unoccupied – either because you want to keep it that way or because there is some interval between outgoing and incoming tenants.

Why do you need unoccupied insurance for expats?

When you bought your property – whether it was intended to be a home or as a buy to let investment – you almost certainly gave careful thought to ensuring that it was adequately insured.

Your options may have been:

  • standard home building and contents insurance for a home you intend to occupy; or
  • landlord insurance if the occupants are going to be tenants.

Look carefully at either type of policy, however, and you are almost certain to discover that the cover provided becomes severely restricted or lapses altogether if the property is left unoccupied for 30 to 60 consecutive days (the exact period depending on the provider of your home or landlord insurance).

The reason for that reduction in the level of cover is your insurer’s assessment of the risks involved – specifically that an empty property is more vulnerable than a building in more or less continuous use.

Since the cover that might have previously helped to protect your property lapses, therefore, you may need unoccupied insurance for expats to replace it.

What you need to know when buying cover

Buying insurance for your property in the UK is especially important if you are an expat. You are likely to need the confidence and reassurance that everything at home is safely protected whilst you are away and it remains impossible for you to visit your property in person.

This is the reassurance that unoccupied insurance for expats may bring – knowing that the premises remain comprehensively covered despite their being temporarily unoccupied.

Why choose us?

It is that same reassurance and confidence that we aim to give you here at UKinsuranceNET.

We deal personally with the insurance needs of your unoccupied property and draw on your wide network of contacts in this niche of the insurance market to ensure that you receive quality cover at a competitive rate. Our aim, in a word, is to ensure that you receive good value for money when arranging the unoccupied insurance you need.

Even though you may be enjoying the life of an expat abroad, therefore, you may still rest assured that the empty property you own back in the UK remains safeguarded.