Customer Login

Call today – +44 1325 346 328

Call from Overseas – +44 1325 346 328

Quote Ref: UKIN01

Lodger Insurance

Get an instant online quote in minutes. If you'd prefer to talk, call us on 01325 346328

A figurine of a medium-sized, two-storey, beige property with a red tiled roof.

I want to insure a property with a single lodger

A figurine of a vacant, red telephone booth.

Call now on 01325 346328 or click below

A figurine of a medium sized house with a figurine man stood outside the front door.

I want to insure a property with multiple lodgers


Online quotes
Easy quote and application process
Flexible, fully comprehensive insurance
Cover for up to 5 lodgers
All types of property considered
Public and property owners' liabilities included

Lodger home insurance

If you have a spare room in your home, you may have considered taking in a lodger. Under the Rent a Room scheme, the government grants tax concessions to homeowners and others who let a spare room in their homes to a lodger. So you could enjoy an extra, tax-free income (up to set limits).

Here, we discuss what you need to know about having a lodger, including the need for lodger insurance.

What is live-in landlord insurance, and what does it cover?

If you decide to take in a lodger, you effectively become a live-in landlord. Indeed, the principal distinction between a lodger and a tenant is that the former shares much of the accommodation (bathroom, kitchen and often the sitting room) with a live-in landlord, whilst a tenant typically occupies self-contained accommodation.

Insurance is needed whether you receive rent from either tenants or lodgers, but there may be specific risks associated with a lodger sharing your own home, including the following:

  • Theft may be a particular concern, for example, since your lodger may have access to the whole of your home, without needing to break in or attempt to break into it.
  • Liability insurance is also necessary to indemnify you against the risk of your lodger injuring themselves or having their property damaged and holding you liable as their live-in landlord.
  • The risk of accidental damage to your possessions and the contents of your home is likely to increase when you have a lodger living there.
  • The risks increase, of course, the more lodgers you have sharing your home.

This is where lodger insurance comes in, to cover the extra risks of having someone living in your home.

Why might you need lodger insurance?

The unique nature of the risks associated with a lodger living with you means that other forms of home insurance are unlikely to be sufficient or appropriate.

Specialist live-in landlord insurance is necessary because neither standard home insurance nor landlord insurance (designed for a property you let to tenants) is likely to cover the risks you face.

If you are yourself a tenant – and have gained the permission of your landlord – you, too, might take advantage of the Rent a Room scheme. In that case, you might be even less familiar with the scope of or need for property insurance and live-in landlord liability cover. Yet the same risks remain when you have someone lodging with you.

Whether you are a homeowner or tenant, and are sharing your home with one or more lodgers, you might want to give serious consideration to your need for live-in landlord insurance (also known as lodger insurance).

Can I legally rent out a room?

If you are considering having a lodger, legally, there are a few things you need to check first.

  • If you are a tenant looking to rent a room out at the property you are renting, you must speak to your landlord because you will typically need their agreement.
  • If you own your home, you will need to speak to your mortgage provider to ensure that taking on a lodger will not breach the terms of your mortgage contract with them. You will also need to get their permission.
  • If you’re a leaseholder, you should check the terms of your lease agreement. Again, may need permission from the freeholder.

Do I need a new home insurance policy if I have a lodger?

Different home insurers may have different approaches when it comes to covering a lodger.

Do lodgers need their own insurance?

Typically, yes. Your lodger home and contents cover will generally only provide cover for your buildings, contents and any liability issues. Your lodger may need to buy their own contents insurance to ensure that their possessions are covered.

Other things to consider:

  • You will need to check with your local authority if you have a lodger because it could affect your council tax.
  • You need to check whether there are any financial implications of taking in a lodger if you receive benefits.
  • You will need to understand the legislation surrounding having a lodger in terms of keeping your home safe. This may vary depending on where the property is in the UK, but may typically include:
    • An annual gas safety check on all appliances and flues.
    • Making sure all electrical appliances are safe.
    • Taking fire safety precautions, such as smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.

Why choose UKinsuranceNET for your lodger insurance?

Any kind of property insurance is important. The complexities are compounded by the fact that there are so many different variations, with each type of insurance specialising in the particular protection you need when living alone in your home, letting your property to tenants or taking a lodger into your own home.

Get an instant online quote in minutes. If you'd prefer to talk, call us on 01325 346328