Skip to content

Call today - 01325 346 328

Call from Overseas - 0044 1325 346 328

Quote Ref: WS1

Trace and Access Insurance

Did you know... 75% of customers could get a cheaper quote over the phone * Call now on 01325 346328

Quote Trace001

I want Trace and Access cover for my house

Get Quotes
Quote Trace002

I want Trace and Access cover for my Let Property

Get Quotes
Quote Trace003

I want cover for my Unoccupied Property

Get Quotes
Quote Trace004

I want cover for my Holiday Home

Get Quotes
Watson Phone

Call me to discuss Trace and Access Insurance

Request a Callback
Quote Trace005

I want cover for my Commercial Property

Get Quotes


  • Specialist advice to ensure you get the right cover at the right price
  • Save up to 30% on your renewal premium
  • Low prices with great value insurance
  • Flexible, comprehensive insurance policies
  • Cover available for non-standard properties
  • Easy quote & application process

One of the relatively little known features of property insurance is trace and access insurance – little known, perhaps, because many insurers do not include such protection as standard cover in home, commercial insurance or landlord insurance policies.

What is trace and access cover?

The definition of trace and access cover is critical, since it needs to be explicitly mentioned in your property insurance policy if you are to rely on its protection.

For example, your policy might refer to cover for loss or damage caused by the escape of water – leaving you with the impression that all the costs are covered if a water pipe bursts and causes damage to your property.

But if your policy makes no mention of trace and access cover, the cost of tracing and gaining access to the source of the problem and making any repairs to the pulled up floorboards, holes knocked in walls etc., will typically not be covered – leaving you to fund the costs yourself.

Other even more costlier examples of which we see a lot of here at UKinsuranceNET are claims involving digging up and replacement of whole tiled and concrete floors - especially in kitchen areas. In addition, we have the newer type of claim involving trace and access being called upon to find leaks in shower rooms.

Trace and access cover is designed to cover all the costs (less any policy excess) associated with sourcing a problem – while the rest of your policy may typically cover the costs of the any damage caused by the problem itself.

Why may you need trace and access insurance?

You may need trace and access insurance, therefore, to avoid bearing the personal expense of:

  • paying a plumber to trace the source of a burst pipe or other escape of water;
  • the costs likely to be involved in gaining access to the problem area – which might include digging up tiled, concrete floors or knocking holes in the walls of your home; and
  • the cost of replacing any damaged pipework or fittings. You should note that some home insurance policies will cover the cost of repair of the damage pipework, but not all.

Tracing and accessing underground pipes

In addition, several of our property insurance policies provide trace and access cover for underground services too.

Underground services include water, gas, sewage and cable. While many property owners may believe that any underground service pipework is under the domain of the utility provider who supplies it, this is wrong. You're responsible for the gas, water and sewage pipes that cross your private land.

If your home is served by pipes that also serve your neighbour’s property, then each property owner is jointly responsible for the pipe.

Although trace and access cover is important for locating and reaching a damaged service pipe, you should also check whether your insurance covers the cost of repairing the pipe, too.

How do I buy trace and access cover?

Trace and access cover is not a standalone form of insurance but may be incorporated into the insurance you arrange to protect your home, commercial or buy to let property.

You can benefit from free trace and access cover for inside your property when you buy your insurance from us here at UKinsuranceNET. As mentioned above, some of our policies also include trace and access cover for underground services as standard too.

Why choose us at UKinsuranceNET?

When you choose to arrange your insurance with us at UKinsuranceNET, you do so with the confidence and peace of mind in knowing that trace and access cover for inside your home is included as standard in all our property insurance policies.

In business now for more than 18 years, UKinsuranceNET has grown to become one of the leading independent brokers of all manner of property insurance products – including trace and access insurance.

Our experience, expertise and dedication to first-class customer service – whether online or over the telephone – has attracted a steady stream of returning customers, now numbering in the tens of thousands.

We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) – which is responsible for the regulation of the whole of the finance industry, including insurance. We are also registered members of the British Insurance Brokers’ Association (BIBA).


* 75% of all customers receiving an online quote in May 2019 could have obtained a cheaper quote over the phone, based on the information they provided