Skip to content

Call today - 01325 346 328

Call from Overseas - 0044 1325 346 328

Quote Ref: WS1

Customer Login Get Quotes

What is lodge insurance?


In what follows, the main characteristics of lodge insurance will be clarified.

The basics

The word “lodge” describes a form of building design. It is normally single storey and clad in some form of wood.

Inside the furnishings are usually simple with perhaps a conventional stylistic inclination towards rustic in general, although many lodges can be furnished to ultra-modern and high-technology interior styles too.

Traditionally they were associated with North America and Scandinavia but in more recent decades, they have become popular in the United Kingdom. Typically they are found on holiday home sites or on some residential park home sites as well.

Their use on a site

The majority of holiday home lodges in the UK are located on sites in rural locations.

Typically lodges are used for:

  • shorter-term holiday duration rentals, most commonly in the period June-September;
  • second or holiday home type accommodation for owners who enjoy taking several breaks each year, potentially for extended durations;
  • permanent occupation as the primary place of domicile.

Insurance implications

Lodge insurance will be required in all of the above three situations.

However, the nature of that insurance might vary depending upon the way you plan to use the accommodation concerned. In the case of short-term letting, you will technically, as the owner, be considered to be a landlord. As such, you will typically require landlord insurance for lodges.

For second holiday home type cover, there may be a separate type of policy simply referred to as holiday home cover of a type specifically targeted at insurance for holiday lodges.

If you plan to occupy your lodge permanently as your normal place of residence, the insurance position changes again. Then you may need residential park home insurance that is designed specifically for lodge-type buildings.

Specific permanent occupation issues

Most lodge accommodation is likely to be located on sites that are only licensed by the local authorities for non-permanent occupation. In other words, they are sites primarily designed and legally authorised for use during the main holiday periods each year.

If you intend occupying your lodge permanently, you must be sure that you have both the site owner’s permission and that the site itself is appropriately licensed for permanent occupation. If either of those things proves not to be the case, it may be difficult or impossible to secure park home insurance for lodges.

Change of use

In situations where you are using your lodge as a second home under “occasional personal holiday use” lodge insurance, even if the site is licensed for permanent occupation, you may need to notify your insurer before moving into your property permanently.

That’s because if you change from using property on a temporary basis to permanent occupation, it will typically necessitate a change in your insurance policy.

The same applies should you have been using your lodge exclusively for your own purposes but then decide to start letting it out occasionally for rental income.


Lodge insurance is imperative to protect both your building and potentially its contents. If you move into it permanently and the site’s licensing so permits, you may need to switch to park home insurance.

An experienced provider of these forms of cover, such as ourselves at UKinsuranceNET, will be able to advise further on the specifics of your particular set of circumstances.