Customer Login

Call today – +44 1325 346 328

Call from Overseas – +44 1325 346 328

Quote Ref: UKIN01

Going into care? Be sure to arrange Unoccupied Property Insurance

Man and woman smiling over cup of tea
13 March 2024

By UKinsuranceNET In Unoccupied Property Advice

Entering residential care is a significant life transition, marked by a range of logistical and emotional considerations.

Amidst the flurry of arrangements, one crucial aspect that can easily be overlooked is ensuring you have adequate insurance cover in place to protect your unoccupied home while you’re in care.

Whether you’re temporarily relocating to a care home or making a permanent move, leaving your property vacant exposes it to various risks.

Here, we’ll explain the importance of arranging Unoccupied Property Insurance, also known as “empty property home insurance,” when going into care.

From understanding the risks of leaving a property unattended to navigating policy complexities, we’ll provide all the necessary details to help you protect your home and assets.

Whether you’re preparing for a short-term absence yourself or are a family member assisting a loved one, this guide will give you the knowledge and tools you need.

What does “unoccupied” mean for Home Insurance purposes?

For Home Insurance purposes, “unoccupied” typically refers to a property that doesn’t have any occupants residing in it for an extended period.

The definition of “extended period” can vary between insurance providers but commonly ranges from 30 to 60 consecutive days.

Once the period of unoccupancy exceeds the designated threshold, it may then be considered “unoccupied” for insurance purposes.

It’s important to note that unoccupied doesn’t necessarily mean completely empty of belongings; it simply indicates the absence of people living in the property on a daily basis.

Many standard Home Insurance policies have exclusions or limitations for unoccupied properties, so arranging specific Unoccupied Property Insurance may be necessary to mitigate some of the associated risks (more on these later).

When you’re planning for residential care, it’s vital to ensure your property is adequately covered during your absence. Informing your insurance provider about your impending move is essential to avoid potential gaps in cover.

You may need to arrange specialised insurance to protect against the unique challenges of leaving your property vacant, ensuring peace of mind while you focus on your care needs.

Why you need specialist Home Insurance when a house is unoccupied

Leaving your property unattended when going into residential care poses several risks.

Firstly, vacant homes are considered to be more susceptible to burglary, vandalism, and squatting, posing a security risk to your property and belongings.

Without regular maintenance and supervision, issues such as leaks, burst pipes, electrical faults, and pest infestations can go unnoticed and lead to costly damage.

Lack of occupancy can also accelerate the deterioration of your property. This can lead to issues with structural integrity, mould growth, and decay, which may require extensive repairs and restoration upon your return.

Standard Home Insurance policies often have clauses that void coverage if the property remains unoccupied for an extended period, leaving your home vulnerable to uninsured risks.

Neglecting to adequately secure and maintain your property could result in legal liabilities if accidents or injuries occur on the premises, potentially leading to costly legal proceedings.

Get covered at UKinsuranceNET

If you’re about to enter residential care, you should consider sourcing Unoccupied Property Insurance from one of the country’s leading independent brokers: UKinsuranceNET.

We specialise in brokering specialised insurance policies, offering expertise tailored to the specific needs of individuals transitioning into care.

Whether you need short-term cover during your care stay or long-term protection for an unoccupied property, we can offer numerous policies to match your circumstances.

As one of the nation’s leading brokers, we have access to a wide network of insurance providers. This allows us to provide quotes and policies from multiple insurers, ensuring you receive the right cover for you.

We’re committed to delivering exceptional customer service, assisting you at every step of your insurance buying journey.

Going into care? Get an instant online quote for Unoccupied Property Insurance at UKinsuranceNET.

Share this post