I want to insure a single propertyGet Quotes
Aviva Landlords Insurance
See if we can beat your renewal premium
Many tenant types acceptable
Buy and manage your policies online 24/7
Multi property Discounts available
No claims discount available
Up to 13 weeks cover for vacant properties
Aviva landlords insurance
Aviva landlord’s insurance is a product developed by the UK’s biggest general insurer, with a history stretching all the way back to 1896.
Formed from the successive mergers of three long-standing and well-known British insurers – Norwich Union, Commercial and General Accident – Aviva is able to boast an especially expert knowledge of the country’s property market, including the large private rented sector.
What makes landlord insurance a specialist product?
At first sight, landlord insurance might appear strikingly similar to the home insurance typically arranged by home owner occupiers. At the heart of both policies, after all, there is typically building insurance to safeguard the structure and fabric of the property itself against a range of major risks, and both types of insurance frequently offer cover for any of the owner’s contents.
Nevertheless and despite initial appearances, there is at least one crucial difference that makes insurance for buy to let properties quite different – and difference arises simply because, once bought to let, the premises effectively become a business asset for the generation of rental income from the customers, namely tenants, occupying the accommodation.
What does it cover?
The precise extent and scope of landlord insurance tends to vary from one insurer to another, but typically includes cover with respect to:
- the building or buildings;
- the contents – likely to be especially important if the owner has partly or fully furnished the let property;
- property owner’s liability indemnity;
- cover for employer’s liability – if relevant, this typically provides insurance of at least the legal minimum requirement of £5 million; and
- compensation for loss of rental income in the event of an insured incident, when the property might need to be vacated pending repairs and redecoration.
For a more detailed description and explanation of the cover included in Aviva landlords insurance, you might want to take advantage of our quote and buy service.
Why choose an Aviva landlord insurance policy?
Aviva’s buy to let property insurance may typically be suitable for private landlords, property owning companies, property management companies and residents’ associations.
Principal benefits of the cover may typically include:
- protection under the principal headings of building insurance (which includes the risk of subsidence), landlord’s contents, loss of rental income and employer’s liability cover;
- optional cover may also be arranged for employer’s liability, engineering insurance and legal expenses (arising out of disputes of tenants or the recovery of rent, for example);
- engineering inspection and cover for such items as lifts, heating and ventilation equipment installed in the let property or common areas; and
- access to a helpline which provides advice to landlords on ways in which the risks of loss or damage to their property might be avoided.
Aviva landlord insurance, in other words, may offer the solution to many of your concerns about covering the risks involved in being a landlord.