Skip to content

Call today - 01325 346 328

Call from Overseas - +44 1325 346 328

Quote Ref: WS1

Please be aware our opening times have changed on a Friday, we are now open 08:30am-18:00pm.

Student Landlord Insurance

Get an Instant Online Quote in minutes. If you prefer to talk call us on 01325 346328

Get an Instant Quote
Quote Small House

I want to insure a single Student Let property

Get Quotes
Watson Phone

Call now on 01325 346328 or click below

Request a Callback
quote terraces

I want to insure multiple Student Let properties

Get Quotes


  • See if we can beat your renewal premium
  • Malicious Damage by Tenant cover available
  • Mixed tenant types considered
  • No claims discount available
  • Low excesses from £100
  • Up to 90 days cover for vacant Student Let properties

Landlord Insurance for Student Tenants

Students – like anyone else – need somewhere to live, but, generally speaking, they do not have a great deal of money.

There are also lots of them – estimates vary, but the total is generally reported to be approximately 2.1 million in 2021.

That makes the UK’s student population a rich vein to tap if you are a buy to let landlord of either self-contained or so-called Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs).

An important consideration, if you own such accommodation, however, is student landlord insurance.

What is landlord insurance for student tenants?

Just as the name suggests landlord insurance for student tenants is specifically designed to provide the cover you need if you generally let your accommodation to students.

Clearly a specialist form of insurance, it recognises that having students as your tenants may bring particular risks to your property and your business as a landlord, compared to tenants from other walks of life.

Why may you need student landlord insurance cover?

Insurance is all about risk and the fact is that many insurers consider students to represent a greater risk to the property they rent.

A further reason for the reluctance of many insurers to offer this type of landlords student insurance is because of the nature of the accommodation which many might be renting. These are so-called Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs), where two or more separate student units share common facilities such as bath and toilet or a kitchen.

The legislation recognises the additional risks to which this kind of let property may be exposed and, for that reason, places additional obligations and responsibilities on landlords to help make the accommodation safer.

Benefits of cover

Here at UKinsuranceNET, we recognise all of these concerns but also understand that landlords who want to target this particular sector of the rental market also need the insurance cover that is going to protect both their property and their buy-to-let business.

Our specialist landlord insurance for student tenants, therefore, provides all the safeguards you need as a landlord against:

  • loss or damage to the structure and fabric of the building and the contents you own within it – including the option of cover against malicious damage caused by your tenants;
  • Public liability indemnity insurance – on claims of up to at least £1 million; and
  • loss or rental income following a major insured event which could leave your let property temporarily uninhabitable.

Why choose us at UKinsuranceNET?

With more than 20 years in the business of arranging landlord insurance for every type of property and every type of tenant, we have established a reputation as one of the leading brokers of insurance for let property.