Skip to content

Call today - 01325 346 328

Call from Overseas - +44 1325 346 328

Quote Ref: WS1

Please be aware our opening times have changed on a Friday, we are now open 08:30am-18:00pm.

Non-Standard Property Insurance

Call now on 01325 346328 or Get an Online Quote Below

quote pub 001

Get a Quote for Non-Standard Residential Property

Get Quotes
Watson Phone

Call Me To Discuss Non-Standard Property Insurance

Request a Callback
quote insurance office

Get a Quote for Non-Standard Commercial Property

Get Quotes


  • Specialist Non-Standard Property Insurance
  • Flexible Tailored Cover
  • Cover For All Types Of Property
  • Property Insurance Specialists
  • Compare Providers
  • Cover For many Unusual Or Individual Risks

Non-standard property insurance

 Do you have home, or are you thinking of buying a building that requires specialist non-standard property insurance cover? Then you may be aware how difficult and expensive it may be to get the most appropriate insurance.

The good news is at UKinsuranceNET we may be able to offer you the comprehensive cover your non-standard property needs, and at what we believe is a very cost-effective price.

But first, what is classed as a non-standard property?

What is a non-standard property?

It may be easier to describe a property of standard construction first – typically this built to standard construction and design, using traditional materials such as walls built of brick or stone and a roof clad with tiles or slates.

A property of any other type of design or use of materials may be said to be a non-standard construction property. This includes  - but it not limited to - thatched homes; listed and graded buildings; and homes with a unique design.

Other properties may be classed as non-standard too, such as high net worth value homes; properties that have previously suffered subsidence; and those that are vulnerable to flooding  - even if they have been built using traditional design and materials.

Typically, these types of properties / circumstances may be classed as non-standard ...

  • properties in a high flood risk area;

  • unoccupied properties;

  • non-standard construction;

  • criminal convictions;

  • properties affected by subsidence;

  • adverse claims experience;

  • let properties;

  • holiday homes;

  • properties undergoing renovation;

  • bespoke requests and requirements;

  • flats/ maisonettes & houses converted into flats/ maisonettes;

  • previous insurer declinature/ cancellations/ voidance;

  • high risk occupations;

  • extended unoccupancy (such as you are working away from home or having a long holiday);

  • listed properties;

  • older properties;

  • shared occupancy/ lodgers;

  • business use (but not commercial premises);

  • bed & breakfast (but not guest house/ hotel).

Why do you need specialist non-standard property insurance cover?

Non-standard property insurance typically provides the same elements of protection as a traditional buildings and contents insurance policy, but takes in to account the things that are so special about your property.

So, if you have a high value property, for example, then the sum insured will typically reflect the higher value of your home and its contents, and may also offer additional contents cover options such higher single item value limits or cover for collectables ( fine art insurance, wine insurance etc.)

You can read our Guide to Insurance for Non-Standard Construction Properties for further information.  

Why choose us at UKinsuranceNET?

If you have a home that is classed as a non-standard property, then when you buy buildings and contents insurance, you may find that:

  • some insurers simply refuse to cover you;

  • other insurers may provide only restricted cover (such as excluding cover for floods if you live in a area prone to flooding for example)