Skip to content

Call today - 01325 346 328

Call from Overseas - 0044 1325 346 328

Quote Ref: WS1

Customer Login Get Quotes

Insurance for empty house

Quote House with Garage

75% of customers could get a cheaper quote over the phone *

Select Get Quotes Below for Online Quote or

Call now on and Quote Ref WS1
Quote House

I need a quote for empty house insurance

Get Quotes
Quote Telephone Box

I need advice regarding empty property insurance

Request a Callback
Quote House with Garage

I want to buy an empty house insurance policy

Get Quotes


  • Short term cover with no cancellation charge
  • Interest free direct debit available
  • Big savings with our low cost insurance policies
  • Contents insurance available for unoccupied property
  • Let the top insurers compete for your business
  • Skilled underwriters able to make decisions

Insurance for empty house

Insurance for an empty house may prove just as important as insurance for a house which is continuously lived in by you or your tenants.

Not only might the risks to which an empty house is exposed result in considerable damage – or even the total loss of the property – but those risks may be greater and of a different order.

Why do you need insurance for an empty house?

Although there is a risk of loss or damage, why do you need a different type of insurance specifically for an empty house?

Let’s first look at the different way in which an empty property is vulnerable:

  • when no one is living there, it is more difficult to detect the need for urgent maintenance – a dripping tap, for example, may eventually lead to the escape of such a volume of water that the house is flooded;

  • when a house is unoccupied it is also considerably more vulnerable to the unwelcome attentions of intruders, thieves, vandals and arsonists – posing a threat not only to the structure and fabric of the building, but also to its contents.

For reasons such as this, many insurers are wary of providing or continuing to provide cover for a property which has become empty. Indeed, providers of standard home insurance and landlord’s insurance typically make it a condition that cover is going to lapse or become severely restricted in its scope once the property has been unoccupied for a given period of time – this might be as little as 30 days or as long as 60 days, depending on the particular insurer.

Special unoccupied property insurance, therefore, then needs to step into the breach and restore the protection required by the empty house.

What you need to know when buying cover 

There are likely to be a number of questions you need to ask yourself when buying this type of cover:

  • how much are the premiums – the price is invariably an important factor to take into account;

  • for how long might you need the cover – is it likely to be for just a few months, for instance, or a rather longer period;

  • what needs to be covered – do you need both the building and its contents insured through the empty property cover, and is a more basic or more comprehensive level of protection required; and

  • what measures might you be expected to improve the security of the empty property in order to mitigate the risks of loss or damage.

Why choose us?

When it comes to providing answers to those kinds of questions, you might find that here at UKinsuranceNET we tick all the right boxes.

We recognise the importance of:

  • matching your insurance needs and requirements to a competitive price for the premiums you pay;

  • a flexibility in the provision of empty house insurance for the shorter or longer term;

  • the provision of all levels of cover, from the most basic to fully comprehensive; and

  • a clear explanation of any steps you may be expected to take in order to help safeguard your property whilst it stands empty.

If you have additional questions, of course, we are here to help you answer these too.



* 75% of all customers receiving an online quote in May 2017 could have obtained a cheaper quote over the phone, based on the information they provided