Customer Login

Call today – +44 1325 346 328

Call from Overseas – +44 1325 346 328

Quote Ref: UKIN01

Unoccupied House Insurance

Get an Instant Online Quote in minutes. If you prefer to talk call us on 01325 346328

Let Property Insurance

I need a quote for unoccupied house insurance

Landlord’s Insurance for Expats

I need some specialist advice regarding unoccupied house insurance


I want to take out some unoccupied house insurance


Buy Online 24/7
Flexible unoccupied insurance cover
Expert advice
Convert to other policy after renovations complete
Probate not granted yet? Not a problem
Direct debit

Unoccupied House Insurance

If you own a house, why might it be standing unoccupied? There are any number of reasons, including:

  • your being unable to live there during extensive remodelling or the addition of an extension;
  • your job taking you away from home to work for several months at a time;
  • empty accommodation you let during the interval between one tenancy coming to end and before the next one starts;
  • the purchase of a new home and the need to leave your previous home empty until it is sold; or
  • if the property is subject to probate, the completion of that process until the future ownership of the property may be decided.

Why do you need unoccupied house insurance?

If there is no one living in your house, it may be exposed to risks and perils over and above those when it is occupied on a more or less continuous basis:

  • without anyone at home to notice and report the need for an urgent repair, the cause might rapidly develop into a full scale emergency – with damaging consequences;
  • when the house is unoccupied it is also vulnerable to vandals, thieves, squatters and arsonists – all of whom may be responsible for considerable damage or even the total loss of the building and its contents.

So heightened are the risks of loss or damage, in fact, that insurers typically limit the continuation of cover or draw it to a close completely once the property has been empty for a consecutive number of days – usually, this is likely to be between 30 and 45 days, depending on the particular insurer.

With the protection your residence your let property normally enjoys therefore withdrawn, you need special unoccupied house insurance to take its place and maintain the safeguards the property requires against the distinct risks and perils.

What you need to know when buying cover

Your principle concern when arranging this type of cover, therefore, is likely to be precisely the extent to which it makes up for the shortfall once your customary insurance has been restricted exactly what is covered and what is excluded.

When considering the level of cover you require, you might want to be able to choose between quite basic protection and that which offers comprehensive cover. Are both buildings and contents covered, for instance, and are additional risks, such as malicious damage, also included as standard features?

You also need to know for just how long you may need unoccupied house insurance – in order to avoid paying for cover when you no longer need it – yet also seek sufficient flexibility to extend the insurance if and when it becomes necessary (if building works overshoot their deadline, for instance).

Why choose us?

At UKinsuranceNET, we employ our expertise and experience in delivering to you a personalised service which aims to identify your individual needs and requirements if you are expecting your house to become unoccupied for more than a month or so.

On the basis of that knowledge, we may then match your needs to the most appropriate insurance products available.