Thinking of moving to Hereford? Whether you’re starting a family, planning an investment or beginning higher education, here is what the city has to offer.
House Prices 🏠
- Most expensive property: £775,000
- Average house price in city: £190,907
- Cheapest property: Leasehold flat £107,500.
Property Investment 🏠 🏠
- Hereford is the country town of Herefordshire, which at less than 200,000 inhabitants is one of the smallest populations of all counties in the region
- The county as a whole has the potential for a 10% increase in the number of available jobs, according to government figures, and the majority of these are expected to be found in Hereford City
- As part of a Regional Spatial Strategy, more than 10,000 new homes are scheduled to be built in Hereford alone by the year 2026.
- Herefordshire is the world’s capital for cider production, with cider-makers Bulmers within the city boundaries
- Less well-known are probably the heavier industries of nickel alloy manufacturers, Special Metals Wiggin Ltd, and steel tower manufacturers, Painter Brothers
- A major employer is Cargill Meats, food processors and suppliers to retailers and other food industries.
Location and Transport 🚌
- Hereford is just 16 miles to the east of the mid-Wales border, and road connections are by “A” trunk roads
- The mainline station of Hereford Barrs Court serves Cardiff and South Wales, Birmingham, Worcester, Manchester and London
- A second station, Hereford Barton has recently been redeveloped and a third is planned at the Rotherwas Enterprise Zone on the outskirts of the city.
- In September 2017, Hereford is to see the first new university to be opened in the UK for 30 years – it is called the New Model In Technology & Engineering, Hereford
- Hereford has the largest centre for the training of blacksmiths in the whole of Europe, the National School of Blacksmithing
- The city’s many secondary schools also include the independent Hereford Cathedral School.
- The most notable and extensive open space in the city is Bishops Meadow, which runs along the banks of the River Wye, with a footbridge across it to Castle Green and Castle Pool
- Bishops Meadow also has a putting green, a rounders pitch and tennis courts.
Finally, did you know …
- In 1992, football team Hereford United had the most players sent off during a single match. Even with just 7 men, they managed a 1 – 1 draw
- These days most firmly a city in England, back in 1189, Richard I described it as “Hereford in Wales”
- In the 14th century babies there were baptised in cider, since it was generally cleaner than water.