Skip to content

Call today - 01325 346 328

Call from Overseas - 0044 1325 346 328

Quote Ref: WS1

Customer Login Get Quotes

Unoccupied Buildings Insurance

house 270px 2

75% of customers could get a cheaper quote over the phone *

Call now on and Quote Ref WS1


Click "Get Quotes" below

quote house and skip

I would like a quote for unoccupied buildings insurance

Get Quotes
Quote Telephone Box

Please call me to discuss unoccupied buildings insurance

Request a Callback
Quote House with Garage

I want to compare unoccupied buildings insurance policies

Get Quotes


  • Specialist advice to ensure you get the best insurance cover for you
  • Conversion, renovation or extensions - no problem
  • Probate not granted yet? Not a problem
  • We can deal directly with your solicitors
  • Policies can include theft & malicious damage
  • Contents insurance available for unoccupied homes


Unoccupied Buildings Insurance

 Unoccupied buildings give many insurers more than their fair share of headaches.

Insurers’ wariness in taking on the risks of extending cover to an empty building is directly related to the nature and scope of the perils which such properties are likely to exhibit.

Whereas some insurers shy away from these particular risks and perils, however, there are specialist providers who positively welcome the prospect of unoccupied buildings insurance – those of us here at UKinsuranceNET may be counted in their number.

Why do you need unoccupied buildings insurance?

Insurance is all about the assessment of risk – and the fact is that unoccupied buildings are at heightened risk, compared to those which are occupied on a more or less constant basis.

When the property is empty, for instance:

It is likely to attract the unwelcome attention of vandals, squatters, fly-tippers and especially arsonists – who are known to target empty buildings in particular;

With no one on the premises, it is also difficult to detect otherwise simple incidents – such as a sparking electrical circuit or a dripping tap – that may rapidly grow into a major disaster.

These are just two of the reasons why your standard home insurance or landlord insurance policy is likely to contain a very important condition: if the property becomes empty and unoccupied for longer than a given period of time, insurance cover is likely to be significantly reduced in its scope and may even be regarded as having lapsed altogether.

The precise definition of that period may vary from one insurer to another, but is typically in the region of between 30 and 45 days.

When the insurance cover you normally rely upon to safeguard your property is compromised in this way, that is the time to give serious thought to its replacement with unoccupied buildings insurance in order to restore the protection your need.

What you need to know when buying cover 

You need to ask yourself a number of questions when arranging unoccupied buildings insurance:

  • depending on the nature, use and value of the property, do you need relatively simple and basis cover or something altogether more comprehensive;

  • is cover intended for the building alone, or are contents also to be included;

  • are there specific considerations that need to be taken into account because it is a commercial property;

  • how long does the cover need to run – if you have an estimate of the period during which you expect it to be empty, is there the capacity to extend this insurance term if circumstances dictate; and

  • what measures is any insurer likely to require you to take to help mitigate the risk of loss or damage to the unoccupied property and its contents.

Why choose us?

In other words, there are a number of questions which you might want to take into account.

The good news is that here at UKinsuranceNET we have the expertise and experience to help you answer them all, with the specific objective in mind of securing the unoccupied buildings insurance you need at the most competitive market rate.



* 75% of all customers receiving an online quote in May 2017 could have obtained a cheaper quote over the phone, based on the information they provided