Equine and Livestock Insurance

eandl logo

This relatively small insurance company is based in York and employs some 28 members of staff.

The company was incorporated in 1934 and has therefore been in business for some 80 years. As the name suggests, Equine & Livestock (E&L) was formed principally as a niche insurer. Whilst it continues to offer cover for horses and equine-related activities and goods, insurance for livestock is these days noticeably absent from the company's product listings.

Instead, the company offers pet insurance and a very wide range of other personal insurance products from caravanning, camping, boating and fishing to golf, musical instruments and cameras. E&L also sells income protection insurance, mortgage protection insurance and a range of health care plans.

According to Company Check , E&L has a net worth of £11,931,000 and assets totalling £16,544,000 - as at the date of the latest submitted accounts, 30 September 2012.

The company is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. It is also a member of the Association of British Insurers and participates in the Financial Ombudsman Service scheme.

Landlord insurance

Landlord insurance is to the owners of let property what standard home insurance is to the owner occupier. Although both may have similar elements - principally the protection of a building and its contents - there is a distinction that is important to keep in mind: home insurance protects the home in which you live; landlord insurance safeguards the principal assets and the smooth running of what is essentially a business enterprise.

The core of any landlord insurance policy is typically the safeguarding of the principal investment, namely the structure and fabric of the let property itself. It may also include cover for those contents of the building that are owned by the landlord (furnishings if the property is let furnished or part-furnished, or otherwise those fixtures, fittings and furnishings in common areas only).

Because the landlord is running a business, the insurance frequently includes cover against the risk of a loss of rental income following an insured event. This may help reduce the disruption or interruption to the smooth and profitable running of the business.

Although both home insurance and landlord insurance typically include indemnity for property owner's liability, in the case of let property this may assume even more importance because of the potential for claims from tenants as well as any member of the public.

Equine and Livestock landlord insurance

E&L offers neither standard home insurance nor landlord insurance.